Monday, May 17, 2010

It's too hot

It really is. It's so freaking hot today. I say that EVERY DAY. And believe it or not, EVERY DAY, it's freaking hot.

It's hard to work in so much heat, especially when you aren't used to it.

One of the offices of the organization that I am working with, has an AC. There are some local staff there and they keep the door closed so that the AC air does not come into their office. It's too cold them for.

Samuel, the field offider that I work with, came in with a glove on one hand. He lives on the outskirts up in the hills (they really aren't that high), and the air is cooler there. He wears the one glove since when he hails a tap tap, his hand gets cold.

Many of the African expats that I am working with all wear long sleeve shirts and long pants and yes, they are sweating too but they are comfortable and able to function efficiently. We had a long conversation about it. The conversation started with mangos but that's another post for another day.

Can it be for real that you can get used to working in heat like this if you are born into it? I love heat, I tell people I am a tropical girl, but who am I kidding? I am an east coast American...I HATE the winter but I think most people struggle with it.

Why can't it be permanently spring wherever I go? In the little bubble that surrounds me?

No comments: