Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A whinge

I lost/misplaced/had stolen from me a shit load of money.

I think that bite was a spider bite. It's better now.

I live in a tent.

It's been a 100 degrees.

I live in a tent without a fan and zero air circulation.

I get whistled at a lot. Whistle is the polite way of saying it.

I see things that need to happen or get done, and I can't do them. Not because I don't want to, but because I am not the person to do them.

I feel like running and hiding. Actually, I don't, at all. I want things to MOVE, but it's a little slow, all of it.

-------
I love what I do.
I love who I am.
I think I want to whine because I feel like I should. I can see things that should make me want to whine. But really, it's none of that. None of the above is actually a problem.

The volunteers yesterday were asking me about strategies, since I am a 'trainer, with experience', on how to talk to or approach people when interviewing them.

My answer:

Let me tell you a secret: There is no strategy that can be taught. I like people. I like talking to people. I have seen you guys over the last couple of days, and you like that as well. Listen to people...that's all they really want. Care about people and it shows and people will open up to you. Care about what they are saying to you. Do unto others. Above all...respect people. It really is as simple as that. There is no formula and it's the one thing I have learned working in the sector that I do. There is no checklist, no book that lays it out for you. Be yourself, follow your instinct and your heart...open that heart to others. It's the best thing you can do for yourself and for others around you.

There was a lot of head shaking like in a church and then...as is inevitable, a hand went up.

So, is there a strategy you can give us?

No comments: