Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day

I cannot believe there is so much excitment around mid term elections. It is like having a secnd chance to show the world that we as Americans are really not bad and in fact, we have a bad president, a one who has been divinely appointed but a bad one still.

It is exciting. My first election that I can recall was in Pakistan actually. General Zia, the dictator, had just been blown up and all of a sudden, everyone came out of the wood work for rallies, speeches, votes, you name it. We went to a political rally and got in our car, got two huge MQM flags (Muhajir Qoumi Movement) and joined up and went out. To this day, I do not understand how my parents let us , three girls and the two of them, get into a car and go to a political rally in Karachi, but I suppose there was a euphoria in those days that I did not realize since I was so young.

School was let out for two days and my mom came home with a blackened thumb (she can write, you assholes who think she can't) and we camped out in the TV room with sleeping bags etc watching election TV. Election TV was amazing since I am talking about the days in Pakistan, not so long ago, when there was only one channel on TV and no satellites to escape to. TV would end at like 11 pm or so but on election night, it went on ALL night and they had these special programs. I can't recall most of them but I know I fell asleep that night feeling like the world was a good place.

Our party lost.

Two years ago I was in Houston. David, my then boyfriend, later fiance and now someone who I think hates me, had a bottle of champagne and we went to Boz's house a dear dear friend and basically the only other person I would hang out with in Houston. David and I had driven down to New Mexico the weekend before so that D could vote in the swing state and the place he was registered to vote. We missed Halloween since we did. We dorve something like 24 hours that weekend. Insane but we got the vote in.

We lost that one too.

I went to work the next day and that is when it hit me....you aren't in NYC anymore, Dorothy. This was Tex-ass and no one seemed to care that Bush had won, that the world had turned black, that we were headed to hell in a hand basket. I walked around depressed and everyone else aroudn me acted as if it were just another Wednesday. I took half the day off and went home and got into bed thinking how nice it would be to never get out.

Very soon after, I left the country, went to Sri Lanka and started saying things like, I can't go back and live in the United States till Jan 09, once Bush leaves.

I went to the UK recently, which is where I live now. Man, America, you are great and you just need some help is the conclusion that I have come to. Perhaps I am being naive and hopeful again only to have my hopes dashed but I do feel that these mid term elections, which are getting SO much attention and in fact voting is at the rate that it is in national elections (for those of you who don't know, mid term elections is for Congress (made up up House of Representatives and Senate), I feel that these mid term elections will make a difference since instead of voting on local issue, it is about National issues. There have been some great stories that have been coming out of this (like this guy in Florida who invited Bush to come and campaign with him and then ran in the other direction, which many republicans have been doing...trying to distance themselves from him).

Please please please America, let that voice be heard so that the rest of the world knows we don't sreiously suck ass.

Watching CNN coverage of this while I try and get my reading done so that I can write about Debt Relief. I am home this week, reading week at school.

Anderson Cooper, a CNN correspondent, of Hurricane Katrina fame and the son of Gloria Vanderbilt and author of the book Dispatches from the Edge and host of show: Cooper 360, is an idiot. I had expected more of him. I think fame has gone to his head. He is hot...rumor has it he is gay as well.

Publishing this post now and will come back to more election news, perhaps, later. I hope everyone who could vote today, did. If you did not, you should be ashamed of yourself.

2 comments:

temporal said...

this is DC material

pronto:)

polish princess said...

anderson cooper cute indeed if very dorky (i mean, for fuck's sake, have you heard him LAUGH?????) and yes, very full of himself, too. saw him on the Colbert Report a while back - somehow he wasn't that impressive (or maybe it's just that he was sitting across the table from Stephen Colbert and there is only one man in this world who can stand comparison with Stephen Colbert)